Sunday, June 23, 2013

Local Fun

I decided to stick close to home this weekend to conserve energy for our big hike to Humphrey's next weekend (yay!)  Debbie and I did the same hike I did my first weekend here, then went to a bluegrass festival, out to Indian for dinner, and then attempted to go dancing with her friends.  That was a flop, but generally a fun day.
 These are panoramic shots from the inside of the fire watch tower at Groom Creek.  The woman who lives and works in this tiny room is the one who originally called in the fire that I posted about previously.  That's big responsibility!

On top of the world!

The main stage at the bluegrass festival.


Today I went to church and then wandered around downtown.  The bluegrass festival was still going on and the best part was these little "pop up" groups: musicians that would just sit around away from the main stage playing and hanging out together.  I literally spent the entire day down there, listening, learning, and even got to go to a fiddle class!  Tonight is the "mega moon" and I can't think of a better place to watch it than in the desert where it is warm, dry, and clear.  I'm so so happy!

The man sitting in the blue shirt on the left was in his 90's!  Just the coolest thing.





This makes me want to take lessons...voice?cello?  I dunno, just something.

Next weekend is my longest and highest hike yet: Humphreys Peak.  It is the highest point in Arizona and Debbie and I will be able to see the Grand Canyon from the summit!  Thanks to Patrick for some great pointers for what to pack and how to prepare.  I'm really excited for the challenge and the views!  I can't believe how blessed I am!

xoxo

1 comment:

  1. Happy for you that you found your happy place! You continue to inspire joyfulness in me :) I put in an extra prayer for the people affected by the wildfires and your next weekend's hike. Have fun on Humphrey's, continue to share your wonderful pics and posts, stay safe on the trails, and happy journeying on! -Jess raindrop hugging in WA

    ReplyDelete